Congressman Leonard Lance (NJ-07) released the following statement today after House passage of S. Con. Res. 11, the Budget Resolution for fiscal year 2016 and the first bicameral budget document in more than a decade that balances without raising taxes on American families:
“Congress is poised to approve a 10-year balanced budget for the first time since 2001, which represents an important step in addressing the chronic overspending that has plagued Washington far too long. This historic House-Senate balanced budget agreement reflects an unwavering commitment to a balanced budget, a stronger economy and a safer and more secure Nation.”
Here are a few key facts about the House-Senate balanced budget agreement. It:
• Balances the federal budget in less than ten years without raising taxes.
• Helps create 1.2 million new jobs, save taxpayers more than $5 trillion and protect future generations from crushing debt.
• Makes the tax code simpler so that families can keep more of what they earn and manufacturers can bring good-paying jobs home.
• Calls on Congress to repeal and replace ObamaCare with reforms focused on lowering costs and strengthening doctor-patient relationship.
• Preserves Medicare so that our seniors can have the security, peace of mind, and quality care they deserve.
• Ensures a strong national defense so that our military personnel have the resources they need to confront threats at home and abroad.
• Expands America-made energy to help create more good-paying jobs and save families money on their utility bills.
• Reins in burdensome red tape so that it’s easier to start and grow and business.
• Cuts waste and eliminating redundancies so that taxpayer dollars are spent with frugality, transparency and accountability.
• Calls on Congress to pass a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution so that fiscal responsibility is locked in for future generations.