The County Clerk’s Office is known as the “Keeper of the Records” and is one of the oldest offices in the State of New Jersey. The County Clerk is referred to as a “Constitutional Officer”, elected by the voters of the County for a five year term.

The County Clerk’s Office is responsible for recording all Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases of Mortgages, Financing Statements, Maps, Military Discharges, Vacation of Roads, Certificates of Incorporation, Mechanics Liens, Trade Names, Building Contracts, Hospital and Physicians Liens, etc. These documents are indexed, filed and digitally imaged. They are also microfilmed as part of a disaster recovery plan. The microfilm is stored off-site at the Hunterdon County Records Retention Center. The older records are in the process of being redacted to protect the public from identity theft. Once the redaction process has been completed, the plan is to make the records available through an online process. All records from 1785 to date have been recorded and are available upon request. The Record Room of the County Clerk’s Office is open daily Monday through Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm to the public. Knowledgeable staff is always available to answer questions and offer assistance.






The County Clerk, by statute, has general supervision over all elections, including school elections, held within the County. These responsibilities include sending out absentee ballot requests, sending out the absentee ballots, ensuring that the official sample voting machine ballots for Primary, General and School Elections are printed and distributed to Hunterdon County voters. Tabulating the election returns and distributing, filing and testing candidates nominating petitions for all elections. Also a responsibility for the Election Division of the County Clerk’s Office is the processing of all the many reports (Expense Accounts, etc.) that are received by this office for the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission. The County Clerk works closely with the Hunterdon County Board of Elections in all election procedures.
REGISTER TO VOTE: English | Spanish
VOTE BY MAIL: How to Obtain a Mail-In Ballot

Political Party Affiliation Declaration Form
Nominating Petition for Annual School Election held in November
Voter List Criteria Request Form (pdf) Lotus Approach
NJ Election Law Enforcement Commission- Public Campaign Finance Information
Important Election Dates for 2014
District Polling Places

Military & Overseas Voters
Voter FAQ
Voter Resources


Hunterdon County Legislative Districts
New Jersey State Voter Registration Site Public Access



2004 to Present


Special School Election March 11
Clinton-Glen Gardner School District
Official Results

Primary Election June 3
Official Results

Special School Election September 30
Frenchtown Borough School District
Official Results

General Election November 4
Official Results

Special Election for US Senate
Special School Election for South Hunterdon Regional District Voters 
Special Primary Election for US Senate 

General Election
Primary Election









The County Clerk’s Office issues a County Identification Card for persons who are U.S. Citizens and Residents of Hunterdon County.

To obtain a County ID card, please fill out the application and bring the application to the Clerk’s office along with the required documentation. The fee to obtain a County ID is $10.00 for applicants up to the age of 16, applicants 17 years of age to 59 is $20.00 and $5.00 for applicants age 60 and older.

Hunterdon County ID Cards are valid for five years from the date of issue.







The County Clerk’s office administers Notary Oaths for a fee of fifteen dollars ($15.00) For more information regarding how to obtain or renew a Notary Commission visit .

Applications for Notary, must be endorsed by your state legislature. For a list of Hunterdon Legislature see: Hunterdon County Legislative Districts.

Please call 908-788-1221 or email for additional information and requirements.










Please use our Check List PRIOR TO Applying for a Passport.

Payment to the US Department of State is REQUIRED to be made by check or money order.

Applications MUST be completed in BLACK INK.

Effective February 1, 2008 U.S. Passport Applications for Children Age of 15 and under Will Require BOTH Parents Signatures. Click here for additional information. A Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 form  is REQUIRED along with a photocopy of the front and back of the non-applying parent’s identification.


On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). The proposed rules require all U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card or WHTI-compliant document. The rules cover travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean region.

Children 16 years or younger must be accompanied by both parents. Our office provides full service including passport photos. Adult passports are valid for 10 years and passports for children under the age of 16 are valid for 5 years. We do NOT require an appointment. Walk-ins are welcomed and encouraged.

The County Clerk ’s Office takes Passport photographs. The cost is ten dollars ($10.00) for the passport photograph.

GUIDELINES FOR EXPEDITING A RENEWAL APPLICATION: If you are renewing your passport by mail and are leaving within twenty-five (25) working days or less, you may use an expedited procedure for an additional fee. Send the following items with your renewal form (DS-82):

  1. Your most recent passport
  2. One (1) regulation passport photo (2” X 2”)

Send the following check made payable to “U.S. Department of State”:

  • $110.00 (Renewal Fee)
  •  $60.00 (Expedited Fee)
  • $14.85 (Express Mail Fee) (prior to 1/27/2014 = $12.85)

These fees can be combined into one check totaling $184.85 (prior to 1/27/2014 = $182.85). If expediting more than one passport-a SEPARATE check is required for each passport application.

The Passport Agency has requested that you use Express Mail through the local Post Office and write “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the envelope when mailing your application to them. The address and phone number is:

National Passport Processing
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, Pa 19190-0955

1-877-487-2778 National Passport Information Center

Passport applications may be checked online at

Proof of departure is not required, but it is suggested that you submit it with your Expedited Application.







The County Clerk solemnizes marriages and civil unions by appointment only. A marriage or civil union license must be obtained prior to the ceremony as provided for in R.S. 37-13. If you reside in New Jersey, the marriage or civil union license must be obtained in the municipality in which either party resides. If you live outside New Jersey, the marriage or civil union license must be obtained in the municipality in which the service will be taking place.

To check date availability, please call (908)788-1214 or email details to









The County Clerk does not have birth certificates on file. A birth certificate may be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality that you were born in. Birth certificates, along with marriage, death or divorce documents may also be obtained online at










All small businesses must be registered in the County where they are conducting business. Most banks require a certified copy of the Trade or Business name to open a business bank account.

The Clerk’s office can only register sole proprietors or partnerships. LLPs’ (Limited Liability Partnerships), LLCs’ (Limited Liability Corporations) and corporations must register with the State of New Jersey.

Fees and Requirements for Opening a Business:

  • Filing fee of $50.00 (cash, money order or V/MC only) to register a Trade Name
  • Filing fee of $52.00 (cash, money order or V/MC only) to register and have it notarized by the Clerk’s office
  • Must have a business name that is not presently being used by any other business
  • Fill out three (3) Certificate of Trade or Business Name forms and have them notarized by a Notary or Attorney
  • You will receive a “Certified Copy” back

Fees and Requirements for Closing a Business:

  • Filing fee of $25.00 (cash, money order or V/MC only) for the Dissolution of a Business or Trade Name
  • Filing fee of $27.00 (cash, money order or V/MC only) for the Dissolution of a Business or Trade Name and have it notarized here
  • Fill out three (3) Certificate of Dissolution forms and have them notarized by a Notary or Attorney
  • You will receive a “Certified Copy” back

Registering Corporations, Trademarks and Patents – Contact:

New Jersey Department of Treasury
Trenton, NJ
Business Call Center 866-534-7789

For Small Business Assistance – Contact:

Small Business Development Center
Raritan Valley Community Center
Phone: (908)526-1200 ext. 8516
Fax: (908)722-4717









The County Clerk’s office records Honorable Discharges and DD-214’s free of charge. Recording these important papers affords Veteran’s the security of knowing their discharges are permanently on record within Clerk’s office. This document may be required as proof of eligibility for benefits.

When recording your DD-214, we now offer a County Veteran Identification Card (download applicationthat provides you with the Page/Book Number under which the document is filed. This card can be an easy reference that may be used at a future date to obtain a copy of your discharge papers if a situation arises where they can not be located quickly.

All discharge documents filed with the Clerk’s office are considered confidential and can only be accessed by veterans or their family members.

To be able to provide you with a certified copy when needed, we must record the original document (DD-214).  If you have lost or misplaced your original document, you may apply online for a certified copy at

Veterans and their families are entitled to various benefits. To find out which benefits may apply to you visit

Under N.J.S.A. 54:4-8.10 et seq, Veterans or a surviving spouse/domestic partner are also entitled to claim a Property Tax Deduction. Download this form to claim your benefit.









The process by which a document is recorded in the Recording Division is very interesting.

  • A Deed, Mortgage or other legal document is submitted to the Clerk for recording and filing. The instrument is examined as to form dates, signatures, acknowledgment and location of property. The fee and applicable taxes are paid to and recorded by the County Clerk at the time of the filing. The recording date is stamped on the documents and the paper is then forwarded to index clerks who enter it into the permanent Index Books. Every deed is abstracted by the Clerk’s division for the Tax Assessor of the municipality in which the property is located. The instrument is microfilmed and the copy is bound into a permanent volume. Also, a microfilm copy of every Deed, Mortgage and other documents filed in this office is prepared by the County Clerk and stored in vaults at the Hunterdon County Records Retention Facility. This will provide copies should any disaster befall the copies on file in the Clerk’s Office. The original document is then returned to the owner.If you would like to learn more about Deeds, please view our “Homeowners Guide to Good Deeds”.
  • See our various Recording forms available online for your convenience.

NOTE: Hunterdon County DOES NOT participate in the Homeless Trust Fund








The Recorder’s Document Reference Manual

by the Constitutional Officers Association of NJ

A new revised Edition is now available as a printed bound manual or CD


The manual includes:

  • Updated N.J. Divisions of Taxation Regulations
  • Revised sample forms
  • Recording requirements for over 165 documents recorded with
    County Clerks / Registers throughout the State of New Jersey
  • Realty Transfer Tax calculations
  • Recording fees
  • Explanation of acknowledgments
  • Glossary of terms
  • Homeless Trust Fund Fee Information

…… and much more information for recordation.

This is a valuable guide for:
Law firms – Title Companies – Mortgage Companies – Financial Institutions – Government Agencies.