Hunterdon Medical Center has received the 2016 Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Safety. This evidence-based designation is the only patient safety award that identifies the country’s best healthcare institutions based on robust criteria that considers female patient satisfaction and clinical excellence.
“The entire workforce of the nearly 3,000 caregivers who represent Hunterdon Healthcare places patient safety first and foremost in their performance every day. Our A rating for patient safety by the LeapFrog Group and now our Women’s Choice Award represents a commitment to quality healthcare outcomes that meet not just our standards, but national ones,” stated Robert P. Wise, President and CEO of Hunterdon Healthcare.
The list of over 472 award winners, including Hunterdon Medical Center, represents hospitals that have exceptional performance in limiting a wide range of hospital- associated infections and complications from surgery and medical treatment.
Hospitals that have earned this award have had a low incidence of problems arising from surgical errors and infections. The hospitals that report their frequency to The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) are ranked for each of the following eleven measures:
- Deaths among patients with serious treatable complications after surgery,
- Collapsed lung due to medical treatment,
- Serious blood clots after surgery,
- A wound that splits open after surgery on the abdomen or pelvis,
- Accidental cuts and tears from medical treatment,
- Serious complications,
- Central line-associated blood stream infections (CLABSI),
- Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTI),
- Surgical Site Infection from colon surgery (SSI: Colon),
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) blood laboratory-identified events (bloodstream infections), and
- Clostridium difficile (C.diff.) laboratory-identified events (intestinal infections).
Hospitals can be eliminated from consideration for the following reasons:
- Not reporting on at least 4 of the surgical complication measures (1-6) or 4 of the infection measures (7-11),
- Having a patient recommendation rating in the bottom 25% nationally,
- Receiving a CMS rating of “Worse than the U.S. National Rate” for any of the above measures
- Not implementing Safe Surgery Checklists.
For the remaining hospitals, the Women’s Choice Award (WCA) averaged their rankings for all the measures (weighted slightly toward surgical errors as a result of the WCA’s women’s survey) and cut off the award list only including those that averaged in the top half nationally.
“We honor Hunterdon Medical Center for being named and recognized as a hospital of choice among women, for it represents the strongest and most important consumer message in today’s healthcare marketplace when considering that women account for 90% of all healthcare decisions. Improving patient safety is not only a matter of error prevention, it’s a focused effort to create the safest patient experience.” said Delia Passi, Founder and CEO of the Women’s Choice Award.
Hunterdon Healthcare has many excellent patient safety programs in place to ensure safe care for all patients. Just a few examples are: Measuring their safety culture annually which assures employees of Hunterdon Healthcare deliver care in a safe environment for patients, using a Surgical Safety Checklist, as recommended by the World Health Organization to ensure, right patient, right side, right surgery, 100% of the time, following all the National Patient Safety Goals, preventing infections, team skills training to improve communication among caregivers, which includes briefings and debriefings before and after procedures and safe medication technology to prevent medication errors.
For more information on the 2016 America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Safety visithttp://www.womenschoiceaward.com/awarded/healthcare/
# # #
ABOUT THE WOMEN’S CHOICE AWARD®
The Women’s Choice Award® is a trusted referral source, empowering women to make smart healthcare choices by identifying the country’s best healthcare institutions based on robust criteria that consider female patient satisfaction and clinical excellence. The Women’s Choice Award was recently honored as #1088 on the INC 5000 List of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies in 2015, as well as selected from more than 500 nominees for Florida Companies to Watch in 2015, a statewide program managed by GrowFL which celebrates the Florida’s top second stage companies. Visit www.womenschoiceaward.com to learn more.