Richard Cushing of Gebhardt & Kiefer Law Offices www.gklegal.com
Mr. Cushing represents numerous municipalities, school boards and counties as either special counsel or municipal counsel. As municipal counsel, he represents the Town of Clinton (Hunterdon County), the Borough of Washington (Warren County), the Borough of Hampton (Hunterdon County), the Township of East Amwell (Hunterdon County), and the Township of Knowlton (Warren County). He is also attorney for the Delaware Township Municipal Utilities Authority. http://www.gklegal.com/attorneys/richard-p-cushing/
In addition, he has been engaged to represent hundreds of municipalities, school boards, counties, authorities and other public entities in claims against them involving harassment, discrimination, civil rights, sexual harassment, housing discrimination, sewer, water, defective, roads and disputes involving police misconduct
Nick currently concentrates his practice in the area of business litigation and transactional matters involving both large and small commercial entities. In addition, Nick has experience in a wide array of other legal areas including general litigation, real estate transactions/litigation, matrimonial litigation and municipal court.
Nick provides legal representation to many local and regional companies for a variety of issues which arise in their daily operations. He frequently represents these entities in the review, negotiation and preparation of complex commercial contracts covering diverse transactions. Nick has counseled our clients on contractual matters involving independent contractor agreements, vendor agreements, non-disclosure agreements, teaming agreements, solid and hazardous waste transportation and disposal projects, construction contracts, and special event contracts.
Nick’s experience also includes representing clients with the acquisition of certain required regulatory permits and licenses for the brokering, collection, transportation and disposal of solid and hazardous waste materials, commonly referred to as an “A-901” license. He has also represented clients in the defense of claims involving alleged failure to obtain required regulatory permission to operate in the solid and hazardous waste industry. Once appropriate licenses have been obtained, Nick has handled the negotiation and review of resulting contractual documents for transportation and disposal situations.
Practicing in our Princeton and Flemington, New Jersey office, Nick also handles real estate transactions, including both the purchase and sale of commercial and residential real estate. Nick has handled the negotiation and preparation of commercial and residential leases, both on behalf of the landlord and the tenant. Also, Nick handles litigation involving real estate transactions, boundary disputes and environmental issues.
As a law clerk to the Hon. Robert L. Garrenger, Jr., J.S.C., (Chancery Division, Family Part), Nick received valuable and practical experience in matrimonial matters and continues to represent matrimonial clients in the Flemington office. Nick has experience in cases involving divorce, child custody disputes, domestic violence and support and maintenance actions. He has been responsible for handling family law matters primarily in the central New Jersey area, including Hunterdon, Somerset, Mercer, Morris, Ocean and Warren Counties.
Nick’s involvement in such diverse matters has resulted in a solid level of experience in many different Courts and forums, including the Superior Court of New Jersey, the Appellate Division, the Federal Court system, the Division of Worker’s Compensation, the Public Employment Relations Commission, as well as many local municipal courts.
- Representation of commercial entities in general litigation, contract disputes and other claims
- Litigation involving payment collection or payment dispute in commercial transactions;
- General transactional representation including negotiation, drafting, review and enforcement of contractual agreements
- Coordination, review, negotiation and drafting of contractual agreements for a large, non-profit annual music event, including artist and talent agreements, equipment contracts, vendor contracts and other required documents
- Representation of solid and hazardous waste transportation and disposal companies to defend claims of improper permitting as well as obtaining necessary licenses for such activities
- Representation of individuals and commercial entities in the acquisition and sale of real estate
- Litigation involving both residential and commercial owners in real estate based contractual disputes
- Representing property owners in litigation involving grading and drainage defects, common access or driveway disputes, easement issues, property boundary disputes, and other matters
- Matrimonial representation in family matters involving complex assets and complex real estate issues
- Defense of motor vehicle and minor criminal offenses
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- 2004 to 2010–Chair, Hunterdon County Bar Association Civil Practice Committee
- Member; Hunterdon County Bar Association
- Member; Hunterdon County Bar Association, Family Law Committee
- Member; Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Oak Hill Golf Club, Milford, New Jersey
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009; Rising Star Super Lawyer; General Litigation