Somerset County Prosecutor Michael H. Robertson, Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Chief of County Detectives John W. Fodor and Franklin Township Chief of Police Lawrence Roberts announced the arrest of Tamar Reaves, aka “T-Mac,” age 18, of Park Street, in the Somerset section of Franklin Township, New Jersey.

Prosecutor Robertson stated that on Wednesday, August 9, 2017, at approximately 7:54 a.m., multiple 9-1-1 calls were received by the Franklin Township Police Department, reporting a female gunshot victim on Battle Place. Responding Officers located a female victim, age 18, laying on the pavement. The victim, identified as Chamari Webb, was found suffering from a life threatening gunshot wound. The patrol officers with the assistance of emergency medical personnel provided immediate life-saving measures to the victim, who was transported to a local trauma center.  The emergency life-saving measures were unsuccessful, and Ms. Webb was pronounced deceased at 8:29 a.m.

Prosecutor Robertson stated that detectives from the Franklin Township Police Department, along with detectives from the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crimes Unit, and the Crime Scene Investigations and Forensics Unit responded to the scene to conduct the investigation.  The investigation involved numerous witness interviews and a canvass of the neighborhood. With the assistance of the New Brunswick police department, investigators were able to identify the suspect as defendant Reaves.

Prosecutor Robertson stated that the investigation revealed that at approximately 7:50 a.m. Ms. Webb had encountered Reaves near an area deli located on Millstone Road.  Moments later as Ms. Webb was walking back towards her Battle Place residence, defendant Reaves approached her and shot her.  Detectives are still in the process of establishing a motive for the shooting. Based on the investigation thus far they have ascertained that there was prior history between the victim and defendant Reaves, and Ms. Webb was the sole intended target.

Prosecutor Robertson stated that immediately following the shooting, the defendant, fled on foot to a residence in New Brunswick; however, he was later observed near his own residence at approximately 2:35 p.m. where he was approached and detained for questioning.  Investigators subsequently obtained Superior Court search warrants, which  were executed at the defendant’s Somerset residence and at the residence he entered in New Brunswick.

Defendant Reaves was charged with the first degree murder, second degree possession of a handgun without a permit, and second degree unlawful possession of a handgun.  Defendant was lodged in the Somerset County Jail pending a bail detention hearing.

            This morning an autopsy was conducted by the New Jersey Regional Medical Examiner’s Office, and the cause and manner of death was determined to be a gunshot wound to the neck, classified as a homicide.

Prosecutor Robertson stated that the quick, successful apprehension of defendant Reaves was a direct result of multiple law enforcement agencies in Somerset and Middlesex counties working together to identify, locate, and apprehend an individual who brazenly committed this senseless act of violence in broad daylight in a residential neighborhood.