Opening Day of Trout Season
April 4, 2015
April 9, 2016
Regulations in red are new this year.
- Opening day of trout season: Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 8 a.m.
- To fish for trout or salmon, a valid annual New Jersey fishing license and trout stamp are both required for residents at least 16 years and less than 70 years of age plus all non-residents 16 years and older.
- Waters stocked with trout in the spring are listed below (those with no in-season closures) AND on Trout Fishing (those with in-season closures). Note: Special regulations may apply on some of these waters, or sections thereof.
- During the three weeks prior to opening day, all ponds, lakes or sections of streams are stocked with trout, except Trophy Trout Lakes. These waters are closed to fishing for all species from March 16 to April 4 at 8 a.m. Exceptions: Lake Hopatcong, Mountain Lake, Lake Shenandoah, Lawrence Brook (section from Davidson’s Mill Rd. to Farrington Lake dam), Prospertown Lake and Swartswood Lake are open year round to fishing. However, all trout caught during this period (above) must be released immediately. Seasonal and Year-round Trout Conservation Areas and designated Holdover Trout Lakes (see Trout Fishing) are also open to fishing but are catch-and-release only for trout. Fishing is not permitted on seasonal trout conservation areas from 12:01 a.m. to 8 a.m. on April 4, 2015. Round Valley and Merrill Creek Reservoirs (Trophy Trout Lakes) are open to year-round fishing; trout may be harvested within the regulations as shown on Trout Fishing.
- After opening day, trout stocked waters are open to fishing, including the days they are stocked, unless specifically listed with in-season closures (Trout Fishing). In-season closures also apply to designated Seasonal Trout Conservation Areas (Trout Fishing).
- Only one daily creel limit of trout may be in possession. Once the creel limit is reached, an angler may continue to fish provided any additional trout caught are immediately returned to the water unharmed.
- When fishing from the shoreline, no more than three fishing rods, hand lines or combination thereof may be used.
- Separate stringers or buckets must be used for each angler’s catch.
- Containers in boats may hold only the combined daily creel limit for each legal angler on board.
- Fish and Wildlife reserves the right to suspend stocking when emergency conditions prevail.
Spring Trout Stocked Waters With No In-Season Fishing Closures
After opening day, these waters may be fished on the day they are stocked.
Note: All waters listed are stocked with trout pre-season (the three-week period preceding opening day) except Round Valley and Merrill Creek reservoirs. The number in parentheses indicates the anticipated number of in-season stockings (from April 4 through May 22). A zero indicates the water will be stocked only during pre-season. For details on what’s being stocked and when, call the Trout Hotline at (609) 633-6765. This recorded message is updated weekly. (Spring stocking: April–May; Fall stocking: October; Winter stocking: November.)
Or visit our website at NJFishandWildlife.com where you will also find directions to public-access portions of trout-stocked waters.
Hunterdon News, Hunterdon County News, Hunterdon County Breaking News, Hunterdon County Local News, Breaking News Hunterdon, News Hunterdon County, Hunterdon County, Hunterdon High School News, Hunterdon County Police News, Hunterdon Obituaries, Breaking News Hunterdon County, Hunterdon County Sports, Hunterdon County Letters, Hunterdon County Real Estate, Hunterdon County Pets, Hunterdon County Car of the day, www.thehunterdoncountynews.com , Hunterdon Congressman Leonard Lance , Attachments! Flemington ,